5 Tips to Avoid Dating Scams
With the popularity of online dating comes the potential of vicious scams. Don’t fall victim to online scams. The schemes are numerous, from small time to big time, from a one “man” show to huge organized operations. While every dating site has the potential problem of scammers, unfortunately free dating sites seem to have the most scammers posing as regular members looking for lasting relationships.
Overall online dating is very safe and can be made even safer by following these simple tips:
1. Choose a Reputable Dating Site. There are hundreds of online dating sites out there for all different categories and price ranges. Remember the old saying “you get what you pay for..”; in general avoid the free sites.
2. DO NOT divulge any personal information such as your full name, address, your place of work, banking information, credit card numbers, and social security numbers.
3. Set up an Additional Email Account. To further protect your personal email, sign up for a free email service such as Yahoo, HotMail or Gmail. Online dating services should never reveal your personal email account, but this is a good precaution never the less and it is free. Make sure you do not include your last name as part of you email address.
4. Hide your Home Phone Number. Use a cell phone for communication or if you must use your home phone, dial *67 prior to making the call to hide you phone number from any caller id.
5. Trust your Instincts. Trust your feelings, if something doesn’t seem right, it probably isn’t and take the appropriate action.
Copyright © 2010 · Canadian Dating Sites